Moll pescadors, 1
In the 18th century, the engineer Jorge Próspero de Verboom placed the Clock Tower in the area known as the Fishermen's Wharf when it was a very important space in the port of Barcelona. Over time, the tower lost its role as a lighthouse and turned into a clock that can still be seen in many areas of the port today.
A pioneering lighthouse
As a novelty in the Barceloneta area, the Clock Tower was an important part of the port, one of the first lighthouses in the Mediterranean. Designed in 1772 by the engineer Jorge Próspero de Verboom, who was responsible for the renovation of the entire port, it became a central symbol of the neighborhood during the eighteenth century.
Visible from many points in the harbor, the Clock Tower is located on the famous Fishermen's Wharf, which in the eighteenth century, besides the lighthouse, included the office of passports, naval command and sanitary control. When in 1904, with the improvements introduced to the port of Barcelona, the lighthouse was no longer essential, it was decided to turn it into a clock and this has continued until today.
Changes over time
Architecturally, it is a pyramidal stone tower that stands on a base on which, later, when it became a watch in 1904, a stucco and watch box were added.
The ancient lighthouse was also the protagonist of a curious anecdote: it has the honor of being one of the geodesic points where the scientist Pierre François André Méchain took the measures that served as the basis of the decimal metric system.